Like any decision to engage a contractor to do work in your home, you should consider what is right for you. If you choose to participate in the Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) or Peak Demand Reduction Scheme (PDRS) and work with an Accredited Certificate Provider (ACP) you should:

  • Understand that the ACP or their representative may ask you to enter into a contract for the upgrade.
  • Check the installer’s credentials including trade licence. They should have clear photo identification.
  • Check that the installer has provided you with the name of the ACP they are working with.
  • Discuss the equipment they propose to install and confirm it will meet your needs. If you are a tenant, you may require the landlord’s permission to install or change equipment.
  • Consider the impact upgrades such as hot water heat pumps and pool pumps may have on your bill.  While these upgrades use less energy their operation might be shifted away from off peak tariff periods, which could increase your electricity bill.
  • Understand any commitments you are asked to make regarding the upgrade.
  • Familiarise yourself with the paperwork that needs to be completed, including the Nomination Form (see our Households and small businesses page for more information on nomination).
  • Understand that any equipment that has been removed or replaced must be disposed of appropriately.